Penang Street Art: Sharing the Arkwardness


Awkward.

This is response that I felt whenever anyone asked me why I'm not familiar with Penang.

My hometown in Parit Buntar is only 30 minutes drive to the island, so the question is actually justified. The thing is, my answer is ridiculous. I just hate sightseeing in the island.


But when your spouse give THE Rosmah's like request, "Can I give you an advise...", for a one-day sightseeing the island during the last school holiday, you just kinda have follow the request.

The thing that she's interested in are the Penang Street Arts.

Getting to the island with the ferry is a must.


Sitting by the side of the ferry with the sea breeze touching your face is an unique experience only in Penang. The rugrats start their questioning:

"Abah, kat dalam laut tu ada shark tak?"
"Ada..."
"Yang pada air laut warna hijau tu ke?"
"Ye..."
"Wow, besarnya!!!"

I've being programmed to responded automatically when hanging with the kids. The green patch on the water was just the shallow sea bead's dirt surfaced.


Since I'm not a fan of Penang, I got the wrong impression of the Street Arts. I thought the arts were on the building walls on a single street. I realized my naivety after googling that the arts are scattered a very large area of the old part of Penang, centering at the Armenian Street.

So here is the checklists.

Narrow streets. Checked.

Ultra limited parking space. Checked.

Hot sun. Checked.

Packed tourist. Checked.

Great!!!


Hurriedly ran to the nearest shop that sell the parking coupons, we're very lucky that managed to find a parking spot that quite near to the street art area.


Even then, everyone started to grumble about the hot and sweaty sun. The parking spot that seems to near before we walked, feels like forever to get to.

The rugrats.
"Hump, teriknya..."
"Aiyoo, panas, panas..."
"Jangan jalan bawah matahari, cari tempat berbumbung!"
Stores exudes the nostalgic feeling.

I think the ambiance of the streets are amazing. Even in the hot sun streak, there were local and foreign tourists that lurking in every corner of the streets just to catch a glimpse of the arts.

Bamboos in the small narrow alley.

There are more than 25 street arts that lingered in every corner of the streets. From the popular Ernest Zacharevic's to the local artists being sought over by the tourists for photos.

How NOT to take the photo with this art. Refer the good example in the top.

We only managed to catch on 6 of them. And no, we didn't managed to find the popular "Kids on Bicycle". Being hot under the sun limited our small rugrats movements.

Dah panas dah ni...

But we managed to find the "Boy on Chair". That is the only Zacharevic's that we took our photos with.

All smiles. Only Dini really showed the real feeling though.

Even though we only managed to find less than half of the arts, but 2 hours had passed when we got back to the car.



I think Dahlia is starting to understand my awkwardness.

When we got into the car, the first thing that I did was asking her this:

"Bestla tengok Street Art kat Penang ni kan Dahlia? Lain kali kita datang lagi la. Kita bukan dapat jumpa semua art lagi kan?"

Hikmat Cubitan Halilintar!!!!

Adoih!!!

I felt the sharp pinch on my left hand.


Huhuhu. Finally got someone to share my awkwardness. 








Comments

Popular Posts