Burnt Out & The Scare of 2010

I think my body have been burning out recently. Overestimating the condition, I have entered myself into several runs in the second half of the year. It need to be noted that I only planned to enter only 6 runs this year by running in alternating months. But what happens now is that I'll run 3 events this month due to some circumstances.

Due to the haze had enveloped Malaysia back in June, the Standard Chartered KL Marathon had been pushed back into September, while I had originally have plan for the Oren Sport Run event. And there is the MCS Fun Run, which actually only a 5km fun run that will be organized the day before the Standard Chartered Run. Normally I could brushed it all off, but recently my body have taken some toll on itself.

For some weeks, my body didn't feels right. Tak sedap badan, the Malay terms are. I had tried everything that usually would've works; exercising, eating & sleeping right, gone for massages, but I just couldn't shake it off. I just can't raise the mood going to work or even to go for a run in the evening.


That is when the idea comes into mind. Does I have the dengue fever?

I had the scare back in 2010 when I had contracted the fever & being hospitalized for 2 weeks. Even after I checked out from the hospital, I needed another 2 weeks to recuperate.

Couple of weeks before that, I felt my body just not in the best condition. I though it was just the effect from stress at the office. I even had gone outstation doing some R&D job related to a project that I involved in at a palm oil estate in Muar.

Coming back from the job, suddenly the high fever kicks in. My body temperature raised until 38 degrees C. I had a different assumption back then. The world was still hot with the attack of H1N1. I thought it was it. Dengue fever was never on my list.

When Dahlia sent me to the hospital, I was already shivering like hell. The days that soon followed after didn't turned out so great either. Often delirious because of the high fever, I often required the doses of medicine to be inserted through the 'back' by the nurse. Embarrassing it may seem, I just didn't care because the fever was so unbearable.

By the end of the days being warded, there were two foods that I really craved - pizza & dried squid. Through the experience, Dahlia was the one that went through thick & thin with me. It was quite a shame because most of the time I was delirious, my memory was vague most of the time.

So that is why rather than waiting for all the symptoms of the dengue fever to arise, I  prefer to get the news early. Better treat it earlier rather than during the fever becoming worse.

Phobia tengok nyamuk

Fortunately the local clinic that I frequented have the testing blood kit that can detect the fever in a short time. The test result was negative, much to my relief. That night I also brought Haziq to the clinic for the simple test since he already have his fever since Tuesday. His result also came back negative, even though the doctor had a tough time extracting Haziq's blood for the test.

Even though the test came back negative, the sickness that I have is real. My head still dizzy, my throat is aching & I still have the foul mood. Taking the day off, I really need to reassess the main issue here.

There are two types of health issues that I probably having here. It could either a  physical issue of a mental issue. While physical problems could be easily be identified, the mental problems maybe hard to be recognized. And since last year, the stress from job related have been affecting me real bad. Depression came creeping in eventually.

So I took the first step to address the issue. While I'm resting after taking the meds, I blocked all communications from the office. I need to reassess how to handle the stress at work and in life.

I'll do it just like what I have always done during the run.

Step by step.

Inch by inch.

And this is the first one.

Comments

Popular Posts