An Unsolved Mystery

I'm sure as a parent, everyone will be proud of every little achievements of their kids. If the kids is still small, the even the smallest achievements will make you happy.

I felt those feeling this week with Haziq. It has been quite a while that I felt this feeling. When he was a baby, every single growth will be noticed when he learns to crawl, to walk, and even to run. We took photos everyday. But after 2 years old, a baby growth will be quite monotonous. Does it happens to all babies? I do think so.

Being the only child will spoil the kid. Imagine being the only kid AND grandson for BOTH his grandparents. I have a dislike for spoilt kids. So when Haziq grown up to be one, it is kind of a train wreck for me. Not that me & Lia pampered him too much. It is just that being the only ONE with the attention, it just got to his big head.

Lia have been working for part time since May. Because of that, I need to prepare Haziq before sending him to the child care. I'll be honest. I have no confident what so ever in handling him in the beginning. I may had helped to prepare him food or bath & dress him before, but that with Lia also at home. If I faced any problem, I just passed it back to her. Me acting like a typical father.

So since May it was a battle for me every morning to prepare him. I need to give him breakfast, to bath & dress him properly. There were many times that I only barely managed to arrived at work on time. Most of the time Haziq looks terribly unkempt when I sent him.

But this week it is different. This week he's changed. For a reason that is beyond me.

First is the crying & screaming. MAJOR issue. When he woke up & finds Lia already gone to work, he'll crying asking for her mom (Macamla dia seorang aje ada umi). I have tried everything that I knew to divert his attention. Playing video games, running his favorite tv shows and even went down to the McD to buy the pancakes that he loves but nothings worked.

This week, he does cried a little bit. But after I taken his pajamas off to give me his bath, he already stopped crying. He starts smiling & giggling. Because of that I have changed the flow of preparing him. Usually it will be breakfast fist & bath later. I want to prevent ruining his uniform during breakfast. A 3 years old is not known for eating with etiquette. Most of the time he just wiped his hand to his clothes. But this time I bathed him before breakfast. I just don't care as long it worked. There were some minor incidents with his uniform. I just dabbed the mess with water to make it disappear.



The 2nd is the bath. Even though some days he will be OK with me bathing him, some days it was hell. Sometimes if he was still asleep, I took my bath before preparing him just so that I could be early for work. On the other days, I just took it together with him.

This week? It was smooth sailing. He was quite enjoying the bath. I can even took my bath after bathing him. While I in the bath room, he was enjoying Astro Ceria on tv (which was always failed last time) quietly. No screaming. No crying. No telenovela's drama.

The 3rd was the breakfast. He really didn't enjoyed breakfast. I had tried giving him pancakes & sweetened breads. Sometimes he was OK, sometimes he was not. He was just not sticking to the routine. Growing in family that prioritized breakfast, naturally I'm quite worried when he was not taking it. Even his weight dropped a little, and he is not even particularly on the weighty side in the beginning!

Along the time, I have been losing heart to force him to take the full breakfast. Even if he was taking a little bit, it was OK with me. This week, with some coaxing from me, he gulped the whole milk that Lia prepared earlier in the morning. More importantly, he was doing it without any dramas.

The last one which makes me proudest the most is when we're on the way to the childcare. The usual routine were
i) I need to wears the shoes for him
ii) Lifting him up while climbing down the stairs (3 floors by the way)
iii) Driving him to the childcare with him on my lap.

It is the total opposite this week.

The 1st thing that I noticed that he want to wear the shoes by himself. You might think that when he have difficulties, he will appreciate if I helped him. No sir. Not in a million years. He want to do it by himself.

"OK Haziq, pi pakai kasut"
"Salah tu, tu belah kiri. Ni belah kanan"
"Tarik sikit tali tu, baru senang nak pakai"
(By this time, I'll try to help him to release the velcro strap a little bit)

 "No, no, no!" (I want to do it myself! Bugger off!)
(If I'm unlucky, there will some small slaps coming up)

It probably took more than 10 minutes for me to wait for him to wear the shoes but it was worth it seeing him struggling figuring out the correct way to wears them.

After wearing his shoes, instead of begging me to lifting him up (our apartment house is at the 3rd floor by the way - one of the main reason I'm checking out a new property) he just stroll by & climb down the stairs by himself. It's not that he can't do that by himself before this (he did it a lot of time), but he just don't want to. Didn't I say earlier, he is manja....

The best was on Friday. While I was busily locking the door & the grills, he was already climbing the stairs halfway down. No drama what so ever. Cool....

And the then during driving him to the childcare. Instead of sitting on my lap (which is dangerous by the way, I'm super cautious when driving like this), he just standing by himself on the seats. Super cool...

It have been almost 5 months that I send Haziq to the child care. My biggest concern is that he seems to dislike it. Every time we sent him, he seems scared. While I'm not sure whether this changes will last, it is a good improvement. Even when he's come back from the child care, he seems happier than before.

I also noticed that independent thing is growing by the day. One time on the day back from the child care, he was eating in the car. He asked he for the drink. When I gave him the drink bottle, he seems to be having problem to open the lid,

"Meh sini, abah bukakan"
(I took the bottle & open the lid for him)

 "No, no, no!" (Why did you do that?)
(Small slaps on the way!!!Bum Bum Bum)
 
He CLOSED the lid & OPEN it back before gulping the water. I just sit & wonders what just happened.

Now, I always consider myself as a bright man. I like to discover things & unravel problems. But this changes to Haziq is to me is a big mystery. There is no difference between this week & the other weeks that I know of that involves me & Lia.

Is it because he is already better from his flu & cough? But even then, he was not sick all the time.

Is it because of the new supplement that we gave him this week? If it is, then the supplement must the best in the world, because the effect took off immediately.

Something really clicked inside his head. And I don't know what. Not that I can ask him. He can't even string his words yet.

This will be an unsolved mystery for me. Even though there is only 1 week left that Lia will work part time, for me it is better late than never.

My boy have grown a teeeeeny little bit. And I managed to notice it in time.


Comments

Popular Posts